Saturday, November 17, 2012

The Minuet We Saw Selena

From YouTube
Whenever I would listen to music, it was always American music. I knew nothing about Mexican music. I knew a little bit about their style from movies and westerns. The first place that I heard Selena was television. It was my mother that knew she was a star the minuet she laid eyes on her. She saw Selena singing No Me Queda Mas on a show like Extra or Inside Edition. I remember my mother calling my name to go watch her too. I was down in my bedroom, and she was in the kitchen. I will never forget it. When I laid eyes on Selena, I knew she was a star too. My mother said, "She is so pretty." When I saw Selena, I was speechless because I had never seen anyone in the music business like her. She was new and different. Selena had a different sounding voice than all of the rest of the singers that I have heard. The thing that put the icing on the cake was Selena was singing in a different language so well. The language did not matter. Through it all, I could tell that she was a great singer. Her appearance and the way she performed told me that she was a singing star and movie star. We did not get to see Selena play in major movies as a big top actress. Still, what she did said it all.


No comments:

Post a Comment